As per the recent communication shared by the income tax department, all eligible income tax refunds will be only issued digitally. Further, tax refunds will be made only to the bank accounts which are linked with PAN.
The above guidelines regarding the tax refunds have been effective from March 1, 2019.
So, to receive income tax refund directly to your bank account, you need to meet the below conditions;
- Your Aadhaar number should have been linked to your PAN.
- You PAN is linked to Bank Account (Account can be Savings, Current, Cash or Overdraft).
- Your bank account should have ‘validated‘ status in e-filing Portal.
How to check if your Aadhaar number has been linked to PAN?
- Kindly visit e-Filing Portal and login with your credentials.
- Go to Profile Settings and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’ to check the status.
- If Aadhaar has already been linked to PAN, the below message gets displayed.
- If they are not linked then you need to get PAN linked with Aadhaar, as it is mandatory to file Income Tax Return.
Related Article : ‘How to get Aadhaar linked to PAN online?‘
How to Pre-validate Bank Account to get Income Tax Refund?
Once, you make sure that Aadhaar & PAN are linked, you need to pre-validate your Bank Account to receive IT Refund amount(s) directly to your linked Bank Account. So, check if your Bank Account has been pre-validated in e-filing portal or not (provided, you have already got your PAN linked with Bank Account).
- Visit Income Tax e-Filing Portal and login with your credentials.
- Go to Profile Settings and click on ‘Pre-validate your Bank Account‘ option.
- Enter your bank details i.e. bank account number, IFSC, bank name, mobile number and email id. Remember your PAN, name, mobile number and email id must match with the details as given in your bank account, to successfully pre-validate your bank account.
- Click on ‘Prevalidate’ button.
- A message will be displayed on your screen which will read as “Your request for pre-validating your account has been submitted. Status of your request will be sent to the registered mobile number and email id.”
- Once the provided details are confirmed by your bank (provided you Bank is integrated with IT Dept), you will receive EVC code to validate the same, then the status of your Bank Account in e-Filing portal will be displayed as ‘Validated’ under Profile Settings -> Pre-validate your bank account option. (If your bank account is not integrated with the e-filing portal, then the income tax department will validate the bank account itself from the details filled up by you.)
- If required, you can remove the validated bank account after 24 hours of validating it.
- You can also ‘Enable EVC’ option for the linked bank account to receive Electronic Verification Code using Bank Account method to e-verify your Income Tax Return Form.
- In case, you have not yet linked your PAN card with Bank Account, you have to get it linked through your Bank’s net-banking provision or by visiting the respective Bank branch. You can then follow the above procedure to get it ‘Validated’ online at e-Filing Portal.
Kindly note that you can also ‘Validate’ your bank account through your respective Bank’s Net-Banking Portal.
Continue reading :
- How to check PAN Card Validity Status online?
- How to Cancel or Surrender PAN & Aadhaar Card of a deceased person?
- All you want to know about Income Tax Refunds | How to check Income Tax Refund Status online?
- How many Previous Years’ Income Tax Returns can be filed after Due date?
- Avoid using PAN card as an Identity Proof – Know when to quote PAN
(Post first published on : 19-May-2019)