The Income Tax department has recently deactivated as many as 11.44 lakh PAN cards and also identified thousands of fake PAN cards. It has been reported that the deactivated PAN cards violated the principle of one PAN per person, while the fake PAN cards had been allotted to non-existent persons (or) were issued to people furnishing false identity details.
Also, the IT department has been informing all the PAN card holders to link PAN with their Aadhaar numbers. The Govt may soon advise the IT dept to deactivate (or) block all the PAN cards that are not linked to Aadhaar.
In case, you are able to login to income tax e-filing portal then your PAN card is active (as of now). Else, it might have been deactivated.
So, how to check PAN card validity status online? How to know if your PAN has been blocked or deactivated by the IT dept?
How to know PAN Card Validity Status online?
Below is the procedure to check your PAN number status online (without login to e-Filing portal) ;
- Kindly visit Income tax e-filing portal home page.
- Click on ‘Know your PAN‘ link under Services heading, which is available on the left-hand side of the home page.
- You have to provide your personal details in the relevant fields and click on ‘submit’ button. The details should be as in your PAN card.
- You will receive an OTP password on your mobile. Enter that OTP and click on ‘Validate’ button.
- If your PAN card is in ‘active status’, you will get the results page as below.
- In case, you have multiple PAN numbers registered with your details, you will get a message with – “There are multiple records for this query. Please provide additional information.” You have to provide more details such as your father’s name to know your PAN card validity status.
You can also check your PAN card’s status by login in to e-Filing portal -> Profile Settings -> My Profile -> PAN Details -> Jurisdiction Details -> Status.
In case, your PAN card has been blocked or deactivated, you need to contact your jurisdictional Assessing Officer (AO) for re-activation of your PAN. You need to submit an Indemnity Bond, copy of your PAN card and copies of last three years Income Tax Returns.
Continue reading :