EPFO has issued a circular today (17-Dec-2015) stating that quoting UAN (Universal Account Number) is mandatory w.e.f 01-Jan-2016 on all PF claim forms / representations / complaints / grievance service requests.
In case, for any reason if your employer is not assisting you in getting UAN number, You can now generate UAN by yourself by accessing EPFO’s latest UAN number generation facility. You can now register & generate UAN by yourself online in less than five minutes. But, do remember that KYC verification authority will still be with your employer.
What is Universal Account Number?
UAN is a unique identification number issued by EPFO to its members. A universal number is generated for each of the PF (Provident Fund) Account Number at EPFO. This UAN will act as an umbrella for the multiple ‘Member Ids’ allotted to the same individual (Employee or EPF Account holder). This number is the key to PF portability and fast PF transfer.
(You may like reading : “All you need to know about EPFO’s Universal Account Number“)
How to register, generate & activate EPF UAN online?
- Visit EPFO’s website. Click on ‘Citizen services‘ link available on home page.
- Click on ‘Registration for allotment of UAN’ link.
- You will get below page which has a form to provide all your details like;
- Mobile number & Email-Id
- KYC details (Aadhar number, PAN number, passport number etc.,)
- Personal Details
- Bank Details (Bank account number & IFSC code)
- You can upload your photograph & signature online.
- After completing the form, you can click on ‘get authorization pin’. You will receive this pin on your mobile number. Key in the pin to activate Universal Account Number online.
Kindly note that one can generate UAN number even if he/she is unemployed or currently not a member of EPF scheme. So, this facility has been made available to everyone.
You may like reading other EPF related articles;
- How is interest calculated on EPF Account – Components & Illustration?
- How to transfer your EPF funds online through OTCP & Member Portal?
- How to track in-operative EPF account through EPFO’s online Helpdesk?
- How to submit new EPF withdrawal Forms without my Employer’s signature?