EPFO has made it mandatory to quote your UAN (Universal Account Number) on all PF claim forms / representations / complaints / grievance service requests, this is w.e.f 01-Jan-2016.
In case, for any reason if your employer is not assisting you in getting UAN number (or) you have to withdraw EPF from your old EPF account(s), you can now generate UAN by yourself by accessing EPFO’s latest ‘Direct UAN Allotment’ facility. You can now register & generate UAN by yourself online. (The generation of UAN number through ‘UAN help-desk’ facility is no longer available. Hence, I have updated this post with the latest details.)
Kindly note that UAN allotment will be done based on your Aadhaar number. This facility has been made available from 16th Nov, 2017 and the EPFO has issued a circular pertaining to this on 21st Nov, 2017.
(Kindly note that the EPFO has recently a revamped version of UAN allotment online facility. I have updated this article with latest procedure.)
What is Universal Account Number?
UAN is a unique identification number issued by EPFO to its members. A universal number is generated for each of the PF (Provident Fund) Account Number at EPFO. This UAN will act as an umbrella for the multiple ‘Member Ids’ allotted to the same individual (Employee or EPF Account holder). This number is the key to PF portability and fast PF transfer.
(You may like reading : “All you need to know about EPFO’s Universal Account Number“)
How to register & generate EPF UAN online through Aadhaar number? – Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment (Latest Procedure)
Below is the procedure to get UAN number online;
- Kindly visit EPFO’s Unified Member Portal.
- Click on ‘Online Aadhaar Verified UAN Allotment’ link under ‘Important Links’.
- In the next screen, you have to provide your Aadhaar linked mobile number & Captcha code. Click on ‘Generate OTP’. You will receive an OTP on your mobile number which is linked to your Aadhaar.
- Kindly enter OTP & Captcha code in the next screen and click on ‘submit’ button.
- In the next screen, you have select ‘Yes or No’ to question – A
- If you select ‘No’, then in the next screen you have to provide your Aadhaar number and enter Captcha code. Click on ‘Generate OTP’. You then need to enter the OTP that you have received on your mobile.
- The next screen displaying the Basic Details available against your Aadhaar will be opened. Kindly verify your details and enter the requisite data in the mandatory fields provided in the screen. You can then click the Register button after entering the captcha and selecting the box in the disclaimer section.
- On clicking the “Register” button the UAN will be allotted to you and will be displayed on the screen.
- In case you select, ‘yes’ to the question – Are you employed in any Private Company/ Factory/ Establishment?, then you need to select any one of the four ‘Employment Category’ options in the next screen.
- If you select the options ‘Self-employed’ or ‘Employed directly by Persons)’ then you need to provide your Aadhaar code and get the UAN allotment.
- If your employment category is ‘in the establishment/company not covered under EPFO’ then you need to provide your Establishment details to get UAN allotment.
- In case, you select Employment category as ‘In the Establishment covered under EPFO’ then you are asked to select Yes or No to one question ; ‘you know the PF Code number of the establishment?’.
- If you know your EPF code then key-in the PF Account number and click on ‘search’ to get your details. Cross-check them and submit, to get the UAN.
- If you do not know your EPF code then you need to provide your Establishment details, click on Save and then get the UAN number allotted.
Kindly note that one can generate UAN number even if he/she is unemployed or currently not a member of EPF scheme. So, this facility has been made available to everyone.
How to active your UAN online?
To active UAN number online, you need to have an EPF account number (Member-Id) with you. If you have an old EPF account number, you can use it to activate your UAN number. In case, you join a new organization, you can provide the directly allotted UAN number to your new employer and get it activated with new EPF account number.
- Kindly visit EPFO’s Unified Member Portal.
- Click on ‘Activate UAN’ link.
- You have to provide your UAN number, EPF account number (Member-Id), Aadhaar, PAN, Date of Birth, Mobile number & Email-ID details. Click on ‘get authorization pin’. You will receive a PIN on your mobile number (provided by you in the below screen).
- Your UAN then gets activated and linked to your EPF account.
You may like reading other EPF related articles;
- How is interest calculated on EPF Account – Components & Illustration?
- How to withdraw EPF online through govt’s UMANG Mobile App?