When to submit Form 15G / Form 15H? | Details & Clarifications

We receive income through different ways, it can be your Salary, Dividend income from mutual funds or stocks, commission, rent, interest on your Bank Fixed Deposits / Securities etc.,

The providers of these incomes (like your company / bank) can deduct a certain percentage of income as TDS (Tax Deducted at source) based on certain threshold limits.

For example If the interest on Fixed Deposit exceeds Rs 10,000 in a financial year, your bank will deduct 10% tax before crediting the interest to your bank account.

If you wish to seek non-deduction of tax from certain incomes (like interest on FDs), you need to file a self declaration in Form No. 15G or Form No 15H with your Bank (as per the provisions of Section 197A of the Income-tax Act, 1961).

Does this mean that anyone can submit these forms to avoid Tax?  – No, there are certain conditions which need to be met for submitting new Form 15G or 15H.

What is Form No. 15G / Form 15h?

Form 15G and Form 15H are the documents that you can submit to make sure TDS is not deducted from your income. You must have a PAN to furnish these forms. Form 15H is for senior citizens (those who are 60 years or older) and Form 15G is for everybody else.

Who can submit Form 15G?

Tax payers who meet below conditions can file Form 15G with their tax deductors ;

  • Any Resident Indian (or HUF) who is below 60 years of age and
  • If your tax liability for the concerned Financial Year should be ‘NIL’ and
  • If total interest income for which Form 15G is being submitted, is less than basic exemption limit (i.e., Rs 2.5 Lakh for FY 2017-18)For example : If your salary income is Rs 1 Lakh and interest income is Rs 3 Lakh and your tax deductions u/s 80C is Rs 1.5 Lakh then you can not submit Form 15G. Here, your interest income is Rs 3 Lakh which is above the basic exemption limit.

Who can submit Form 15H?

Tax payers who meet below conditions can file Form 15H with their tax deductors ;

  • Any Resident Indian who is 60 years old or will be 60 years old during the financial year and
  • If taxable income (after claiming tax deductions) is less than the basic exemption limit.

When to submit Form 15G / Form 15H?

Most of the tax payers have lot of queries on the submission process of these forms, some of the most frequently asked questions are;

  • When to submit Form 15G/15H to tax deductor / income provider (like Bank)? Is it at the beginning of every financial year?
  • If I open multiple fixed deposits with the same bank, do I need to file multiple Forms?
  • Do I need to submit fresh Form 15G / Form 15H, in case there is a change in my expected income for the concerned Financial year?

The CBDT (Central Board of Direct Taxes) have recently issued a notification and has provided clarifications on these FAQs. (Click on the below image to download the notification.)Form 15H Form 15G FY 2017-18 AY 2018-19 Clarifications TDS Bank FD interest income pic

We can infer below points based on the notification ;

When to submit Form 15G or Form 15H?

  •  You can submit Form 15G / 15H to your income provider before the first payment in a year becomes due. It can be at the beginning of the year or during the financial year.
  • Example 1 : You have booked a cumulative bank Fixed Deposit for 1 year, interest income is payable on maturity date only. You can submit Form 15G/H with your banker at the beginning of the FY or anytime, before the FD matures.
  • Example 2 : You have booked a bank FD where interest income is payable on a quarterly basis. In this case, you have to submit Form 15G/15H at any time before the end of 1st quarter in which such interest income is payable to you. Kindly note that you need not submit Forms again for the remaining quarters of that FY.

Change in Estimated income in a FY

  • You have to declare your estimated income for the concerned FY when you are filling the New Form 15H/15G.
  • After filing these forms, in case you expect that your income is going change in the FY then you need to file Form 15G/15H again with your income providers.
  • For Example : While filing Form 15G/15H to bank, you have mentioned only interest income from Bank FDs as your estimated total income. However, during the financial year, if you let out house property and start earning rental income then you need to submit new Form 15G/15H to your bank (even if you do not make any fresh investments..)
  • So, it is has been clarified that new Form 15G/15H has to be filed in every situation where the estimated total income of  taxpayers change.

New Investments with the same Entity

  • For any new investment you make, even if it is with the same entity, you need to file new Form 15G/H. The reason being, your estimated income for that FY changes.
  • Another important clarification is, every time you file a New Form 15G/15H, you need to make sure that you provide total number of earlier declarations along with aggregate amount of income for which such Form 15G/15H have been filled. This will enable the income provider (tax deductor) to ascertain, whether the Forms can be accepted.
  • For example : During the financial year, you open two new fixed deposit accounts but with same bank (one FD in the first half of the year and the second one in later half of the FY). In this case, you need to first submit relevant Form to your bank, while opening the first FD account. When you open the second FD account then you need to file new Form 15G/H providing particulars of the same with your bank. However, in case of first FD account (old investment), you need to re-submit new Form 15G/H by just mentioning the total number of earlier declarations filed and aggregate amount of income for which the forms have been filed, in respective columns.

Multiple investments with multiple Entities

  • In case, you receive income from multiple entities then you need to submit Forms to all such income providers.
  • For example : During the financial year, if you open two FD accounts with two Banks then you are required to submit Form 15G/15H to both the banks separately, in order to avoid TDS.

Most of the income providers (especially the banks) do accept filing of Form 15G / 15H through online mode. In case, you are eligible to submit Form 15H / 15G but fail to do so then you can file your Income Tax Return (ITR) and claim REFUND of TDS. Kindly make sure you do not misuse these forms. (A false or wrong submission of form 15G or form 15H would attract penalty or imprisonment up to 2 years under section 77 of the Income Tax Act.)

Continue reading other related articles ;

(Post first published on : 15-June-2017)

About The Author

  • Hariprasath says:

    I have applied form 10C and 19 and got rejected due to missing details in check leaf but I have submitted my form 15G. Now I have claimed for the second time. Do i need to submit my form 15G again?

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Hariprasath,
      Advisable to submit your Form 15G.

      • Hariprasath says:

        Thanks Sreekanth
        But my claim is rejected again due to two reasons.
        1. Contribution received after date of exit Clarification needed
        2. Certificate enclosed is improper
        Could you please help me out in this case?

        • Sreekanth Reddy says:

          Dear Hariprasath,
          1 – Are you currently employed and contributing to the EPF scheme?

          • Hariprasath says:

            Dear Sreekanth,
            I have joined a new company on Feb 1 2020 but my DOE in last company was October 4 2019. But I have received a PF contribution for the month of December 2019 from the previous employer.

          • Sreekanth Reddy says:

            Dear Hariprasath,
            If you have exited the company in Oct, why did your ex-employer contribute to EPF?
            As your epf-1 a/c got contributions and also you are currently contributing to EPF scheme, you can not withdraw funds from first EPF account. You may get the funds transferred from EPF-1 to the latest EPF-2 a/c..

          • Hariprasath says:

            In my new office, there’s no EPF contribution facility for now. This is FYI

          • Sreekanth Reddy says:

            Dear Hariprasath,
            If last contribution to EPF a/c is Dec, you can wait for 2 months then can try withdrawing the funds..

          • Hariprasath says:

            But my last date was on Oct-4. How to clarify with that.

          • Sreekanth Reddy says:

            Dear Hariprasath,
            If your Date of Exit was in Oct but your ex-employer has still made contributions to your EPF account then you may have to get this sorted out with your ex-employer!

  • Prabhakar B says:

    Hi Sreekanth,

    What is the basic exemption limit to file Form 15G for the financial year 2020-21? Is it ₹2,50,000.00 or ₹5,00,000.00?

    Question 1. Assume, total interest earned by fixed deposit is ₹4,80,000.00 and other income is arround ₹15,000.00. As per FY 2020-21, can i fill Form 15G?

    Question 2. Assume, total interest earned by fixed deposit is ₹2,50,000.00 and other income is nil. Can i fill FORM 15G?

    Please help me on this clarifications.

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Prabhakar,
      The information is available and valid till FY 2019-20 or AY 2020-21 only.
      We need to wait till Budget 2020 (Feb 1 2020) to know the details regarding basic exemption limit for FY 2020-21.

  • VJ says:

    Hi Mr.Sreekanth, My Mother had 4 FD’s with Bank A and 1 FD with Bank B. We had submitted form 15G to Bank A for 4 FD’s and form 15G at bank B with aggregate amount from bank A+B and # of forms filled as 1. One of the FD from bank A was matured in June so we invested that amount in Bank B for better interest rates. At this point should I re-submit the form 15G at Bank B with # of forms filled=2 and aggregate amount of interest from A+B. When I tried to do that I received “All accounts are exempted under this Customer Id and no request to be submitted”. Suggestions as to why this error message?

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear VJ,
      I think you need to submit a fresh Form 15G for that FD.
      Kindly check with your banker, may be they are considering the Form 15Gs at Cust ID level ..

  • Sam says:

    My income is 2,40,000 p.a. and I have opened my fixed deposit on 1 July 2019 for 1 year. When I have to submit 15g form. My FD amount is 2,50,000.

  • gurjinder singh says:


    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Gurjinder,
      The 15G/H form for a fixed deposit has to be submitted:

      Before the interest income on a fixed deposit becomes payable for the first time during a financial year.
      If you have opted for a cumulative fixed deposit scheme for a year in which the interest income is payable at maturity date, you can submit the form 15G any time from the beginning of the term deposit to before it matures.
      For a term deposit scheme in which the interest income is payable every quarter, you need to submit the form 15G only once before the first quarter ends. You don’t need to submit form 15G at the end of every quarter.

      Kindly go through this article – How SBI Fixed Deposit Holders Can Submit Forms Online To Avoid TDS

      • Gurjinder says:

        sir one of my fdr matured in june2018 and another one in NOV.2018….bt they deducted TDS despite filling form 15g in april 2018.
        so can u explain what could be the reason

        • Sreekanth Reddy says:

          Dear Gurjinder,
          May I know if your total interest income was more than the basic exemption limit (as per tax slabs)??

  • Sandeep says:

    Hi sir,

    I have uploaded details of 15G as a Banker . But I got status rejected because of UIN mismatch. Is there any cut off date for submission of Q3 . And since it got rejected do I have pay any penalty.

  • RAja says:

    Sir can Form 15g/h can submit before the financial year
    For ex. For 2019-20 can submit early on dec 2018
    Is it possible

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Raja,
      Ideally if you submit at the beginning of a FY, you can save on TDS (if any & eligible) on your existing investments.
      If you submit now, TDS would have already been deducted, but the Fin institution may consider it for your new investments in this FY.

      “No particular last date fixed. You have to submit 15G/15H before date of maturity of Fixed Deposit or 31st March, which is earlier. It is better to submit 15G/15H before 10th April to avoid deduction of TDS on fixed deposits already holding as on 31–3–2018.”

  • Mathi says:

    Hi, I am a salaried person and my taxable income after all deductions falls within the bracket 3-5 lakhs. I have FDs/RDs with more than one banks and i presume that the interest income must be less than 10000 collectively. Am i supposed to submit 15g forms to the banks? And should i report this interest income during my income tax submission. Pls clarify.

  • SHANKU GHOSE says:

    Sir, I am to inform you that I have some fixed deposits in UCO Bank but I have forgotten to submit the 15G form for this financial year of 2017-2018.
    What should be done , now ? Will the tax be deducted from my credit ?

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Shanku,
      If you have not submitted Form 15G for FY 2017-18, you can disclose your interest income and TDS deducted by bank (if any) in your income tax return and can file ITR accordingly.
      In case, if your tax liability is NIL and TDS has been deducted then you can claim it as REFUND (if any).

      Related articles :
      Misconceptions on TDS (Tax Deducted at Source)

  • Sudam Jagannsth Katkar says:

    I have income interest from all banks{8banks} is 100000+. Pension income is 242000/- standard deduction is 40000/-.I have filled 15h form in all banks. Is it cortect. These figures are estimated for. Du 2018-19. Investment u/s80c would be 50000. Am I eligible to file 15jh?

  • Priya Mohanta says:

    In Financial 2017-18, I have submitted form 15G through online SBI and I have also submitted it two times and it was successful submission but In this financial year I am facing a serious problem while fill up 15G through online SBI . The problem is that when I am going to submit then the message ” Some details of Form 15G/H are not proper. Please check the details entered.” is appeared on the screen.
    I can’t detect the error what is my wrong. My Income is below 40000 per year though I fill return from last year.
    Some Options on form 15G I have filled up are—

    15) a. Whether assessed to tax — I write ” No ” as my income is below taxable income ,,,though last year I have submitted income tax return.
    18) Total no. of Form No. 15 Filled — nil

    So Can you tell me what is the problem I am facing ?? or Is it my fault or SBI server problem ???

    Please Reply,,,,

  • MONOJIT DAS says:

    I have an another problem. I did not remeber my previous year maturity amount and interest also, so how I am fill the form of 15G. I do not have any copy of those fixed deposites.

    • MONOJIT DAS says:

      I have an another problem. I did not remeber my previous year maturity amount and interest also, so how I am fill the form of 15G. I do not have any copy of those mature fixed deposites. I have an account on SBI, and the bank employees are not guide the customer properly I think they will not give me my previous year fixed deposit history (fixed A/C no, amount, interest etc). Please help me what should I do?

  • Bitika says:

    I have fixed deposit with bank maturing on 30 th April and so on. my income is not taxable so what is the last date to file form 15g?

  • Arti says:

    I am a salaried employee and pay tax apart from this I have fds ,should I fill 15 g form or I am liable to pay tax on fds ‘ interests too?

  • ramen maji says:

    i am getting interest from bank FD and i have filled ITR for claiming TDS on respective amount should i have to fill from 15g/h for claiming tds?

  • Gauri says:


    I have FD and for last FY(2017-18) i failed to submit 15h form. Now i have got email saying there is a mismatch in form 26AS as the FD details are not included while submitting tax return. Could you please help me to resolve the issue.


  • rushabh gandhi says:

    hello sir

    I am falling in the tax audit , i am paying interest to my wife on unsecured loan for an amount more than 10000 in month of march 2018, f.y. 2017-18 q4.

    so pls provide me the due date for deductor for filling the form 15g to income tax department,

    also provide the due date for deductee for submitting the form 15g to deductor

  • Jomon says:

    I hve submitted form 15h instead of 15G
    What should I do now
    Please reply

  • radhakrishnan says:

    dear sir, i am senior citizen and have fd acoount in two banks. when i submit form 15h am i to mention interest amount (i.e. interest of both banks) to both banks or interest of concerned bank only.
    please clarify.

  • dina says:

    hello sir
    this is dina, working in a psu. pls let me know how i can find out my tax liability for the next Financial Year FY 2018-19.

    thank u.

  • Jay Kumar Sharma says:

    I have submitted form 15 G in month of April for two FD in SBI And One FD matured in Sept. So with renewal of that FD I have made one more FD with that earned interest of 1,40,000 on 18/09/2017 for 6 months and has not filed New 15 G till 18/03/2018 i.e. maturity of FD and bank has deducted TDS even after filing 15 G in first quarter of FY IN april 2017…..what can be done to get TDS back in or to get refund?

  • Gowrinanthan R says:

    Hello Srikanth,

    My annual salary is 4. 5 lakhs and i dont have any other income apart form this. Am i eligible to submit 15G form? If your answer is yes, In order to claim EPF amount without TDS, where should i submit the form, is that ok to submit on ICICI website which is my salary account. And can you please explain this “Estimated total income including the estimated income earned on deposits” here what should be given, my total income or income earned by interest? please explain in detail.

  • Anita says:

    Hello Sreekanth,

    For PF withdrawal.. the name on the form 15G should be as per the IT website records? or what the name is on UAN portal… my name on IT website is different from what it is on the UAN portal and Aadhar card. Pls advise.


  • Amrutha says:

    Hi Sreekanth,

    I am trying to submit PF withdrawal claim. My question is regarding form 15G, section 15(b) — “latest assessment year for which assessed”. I quit working in March 2014. My income was taxable for the corresponding FY 2013-14. Although the tax has been paid (deposited by my company), I have just realized that I didn’t file ITR for that FY 2013-14 (AY 2014-15). On the IT website, the most recent year for which ITR is showing as available is for AY 2013-14.

    So, I believe for section 15(b), I should say AY 2013-14? Would it be a problem since the PF claim form would show my last working date of March 2014, but Form 15G would show no ITR filed/processed for the corresponding AY 2014-15?

    Can I not submit form 15G to avoid this issue? I do not mind the TDS which would get deducted. Will the PF office accept & process my PF claim form without form 15G?

    Would appreciate a response as soon as possible. Thank you.

    • Dear Amrutha,
      If you have not filed your ITR for AY 2014-15, advisable not to mention it as last assessed year.
      The year when you last filed your tax returns needs to be provided.
      If you are submitting offline PF claim and PAN/Aadhaar is not linked to your UAN then EPFO may deduct TDS, but will process your EPF withdrawal claim.
      In case, you are eligible to get TDS as refund (if any), you can claim it when you file your ITR for FY 2017-18 (AY 2018-19).

      Kindly read :
      EPF withdrawals & TDS rules
      TDS & Misconceptions

      • Amrutha says:

        Thank you, Sreekanth. I wouldn’t mention it incorrectly, just wanted to check if not having filed the returns for that year would be an issue now for PF withdrawal. And if there was any chance of it being a problem or delayed, if it can be done without form 15G.

        Reading your posts on TDS &PF, had one more question. The taxation on PF withdrawals comes into the picture when filing IT returns, right? (In reference to this point on your other post – “If TDS is not applicable then it does not mean that the EPF withdrawals are not taxable. Do note that, if you withdraw your PF balance before the expiry of five years of continuous service, then it is taxable in the year in which withdrawal has happened. In addition to this, your employer’s contributions along with the accumulated interest amount will be taxed as “profits in lieu of salary”. Interest accumulated on your (employee) contributions will be taxed under the head “Income from other sources”. The tax deductions claimed on your contributions will be revoked or rolled back, and shall be liable to tax.”).

        Is there a separate slab rate & % of tax for the employer & employee contributions in this case? Or, is it as per the total income for that year?

        Thank you

  • varsha goyal says:

    Dear Sir

    I am working in PSU bank . I have an gross income of Rs 276000 and interest (on fd) income of Rs 12500. my decuction under 80C are Rs 25500. can I fill 15g form for fy 2017-18.

    • Dear varsha,
      Tax payers who meet below conditions can file Form 15G with their tax deductors ;

      Any Resident Indian (or HUF) who is below 60 years of age and
      If your tax liability for the concerned Financial Year should be ‘NIL’ and
      If total interest income for which Form 15G is being submitted, is less than basic exemption limit (i.e., Rs 2.5 Lakh for FY 2017-18). For example : If your salary income is Rs 1 Lakh and interest income is Rs 3 Lakh and your tax deductions u/s 80C is Rs 1.5 Lakh then you can not submit Form 15G. Here, your interest income is Rs 3 Lakh which is above the basic exemption limit.

      Your case meets first and third condition, you need to check your tax liability for FY 2017-18. If your tax liability for the concerned Financial Year may is NIL then you can submit form 15G.

  • Ashish Shaw says:

    Hello, I have a fd of Rs.60000 for 8 years with a maturity value of Rs.124000?
    Do I need to submit form 15g every financial year or once when the fd will get matured?

  • Vishal says:

    Hi sir
    I want to aply for my pf withdrawal total pf bal, is 70000/- so sir need to submit the form 15G, pls reply

  • AKSHIT says:

    SIR ,


  • Daruk Main says:

    My Annual Salary is 325000 after PF contribution. Income form OTHER FDs 30000 . I do invest 150000 in ppf every year. Upto Which amont i can do FD with submitting 15G form ?

    • Dear Daruk,
      If your tax liability is NIL and projected interest income is less than basic exemption limit, you can submit form 15G.
      The quantum of FD depends on the expected interest income.

  • U. K. Gupta says:

    My FD is going to mature in October 2017 and it will be renewed by default by the system. Shall I be required to submit a fresh Form 15G for the renewed/reinvested FD?

  • Deb says:

    My relative who is a senior citizen failed to submit 15H during the first 2 quarters of this financial year. Hence, TDS is deducted from the income. Can he submit the form 15H now for the rest of 2 quarters and ensure no tax is deducted on the income by the bank? Please let me know.

  • Deepak says:

    Hi, I have 2 incomes one is salary income of 2,70,000 and FD interest income of 60,000. After section 80c deduction of 1,50,000 my income will be 1,80,000. can i submit form 15g saying my estimated total income for financial year is 1,80,000 or should i not submit 15g ?

  • Kalyani Joseph says:

    Thanks Sreekanth! Very informative and helpful.

  • R Durga naik says:

    sir I apply Pf final settlement but reject my forms what problem what is 15G/15H FORM

  • MUNIYANDI D says:


  • Kasture shyam says:

    Thanks Srikant such a valuable information.

  • shyla says:

    Hi Srikanth,

    In case of debt mutual funds short term gains, how to submit 15G/H and when and where need to submit


  • Dani says:

    What is the last date to submit 15G/H to banks? Do we get an acknowledgement from banks we submit these forms? Thnaks.

    • Dear Dani ..There is no last date as such..generally these are submitted at the beginning of a Financial Year.
      But as per the above clarifications in the article, can be submitted anytime before the first income payment is due.
      Yes, as per RBI, banks should give a receipt of acknowledgement to customers when they submit Form 15G/15H.

  • >
    Scroll to Top