All the companies (establishments) which employ 20 people or more have to compulsorily deposit EPF dues every month. After deducting the Employee Provident Fund from the employee’s salary, the employer HAS to deposit the money with EPFO (Employees Provident Fund Organization).
It is a crime if an employer does not deposit the EPF money. An employer can be jailed if they fail to deposit the EPF money with EPFO.
Most of the big companies or MNCs might be very prompt in depositing EPF money, but this may not be the case with all the Small & Medium Establishments.
I have received few queries on ‘companies not depositing the EPF dues’ and queries on ‘how to check if the employer is actually depositing the EPF money after deducting the amount from the employee’s salary’.
If you have linked your UAN with Aadhar, you can receive monthly updates of PF credits to your mobile number linked to your UAN.
There is another online provision provided by the EPFO, wherein an employee can check if the company is covered under EPF scheme or not. Using this online facility, an employee can also check if the company has been depositing the EPF dues on a monthly basis for all the employees who are covered under EPF scheme.
If you are employee contributing to EPF then you can also check if your name appears in the list of employees for whom PF dues have been paid on a monthly basis.
How to read your EPF Account number?
Before discussing about the online provision, let’s first discuss on EPF Account number format.
Old Format Example:
KN / 1234567 / 7654321. KN (Karnataka) here denotes the State in which EPF office is located. ‘1234567’ is Establishment code (company code – Max 7 digits) and ‘7654321’ is your EPF account number (max 7 digits).
In case if your company has one or more branches they may mention it along with the Establishment code. For example: KN/1234567AAA/7654321. In this case ‘AAA’ is the extension number.
The EPF old format was based on the 22 states available with corresponding 2 characters of region code, as listed below.
New Region Code / EPFO Office code / Establishment code / EPF account number is the new format.
For example – PB / CHD / 1234567 / 7654321. PB denotes for Punjab, CHD for Chandigarh PF office, 1234567 stands for Establishment code & 7654321 is your EPF account number.
How to find the Establishment code for EPF Account?
- Visit EPFO Search services.
- You can find out about your company (establishment) details based on;
- Old Code
- New Regional office
- PIN Code (or)
- Establishment Name (Company Name)
- For example, let’s say you are working for INFOSYS, Bangalore and you would like to know its Establishment code for EPF related matters. (click on the below images to open them in new browser windows)
- You can select ‘Estt. name’ option, key in the company name and click on ‘search’.
- You will get a list of companies which have ‘INFOSYS’ as the Establishment name.
- For example, if you are working for Infosys – Electronic City – Bangalore office then KN/0010088 is the old region code followed by Establishment code. Where as PY/BOM/0010088 is the new format. PY stands for Peenya (new region code), BOM stands for Bommasandra EPFO office, 0010088 is the establishment code and ‘000’ is extension number (which is blank in this case).
How to know if my company is depositing EPF dues?
- Let’s continue with the above ‘INFOSYS’ example. As an employee of ‘infosys’ you would like to know if they are depositing the EPF dues on a monthly basis, click on the ‘lock’ icon to get these details.
- As shown in the below image, you can find information on ‘date of EPF credits’, ‘total EPF amount that has been deposited’, ‘respective month/year’, ‘total number of employees covered under EPF scheme’ etc., (Kindly note that these details are for Infosys – Electronic City, Bangalore branch)
How to check if my name appears in the list of Employees for whom PF dues have been paid?
The above information is about establishment and also on total EPF dues that have been deposited. In case you would like to check if your name (as an employee who is contributing to EPF) appears in the list of employees, click on the ‘number of employees’ link (in the above image INFOSYS has 1,44,175 employees).
Once you click on the ‘no. of employees’ link, you can provide your name in the ‘search box’ (as shown in the below image). If your name appears in the list then your company is depositing the EPF money in your EPF Account with the EPFO.
I hope this post is informative and useful. Continue reading other EPF related articles;
(Featured Image Pic courtesy – rediff.com)
(Post published on : 30-May-2016)