The notification to develop Dr Shivaram Karanth Layout was first issued by the BDA (Bangalore Development Authority) way back in 2008. Almost 15 years after issuing the preliminary notification, the BDA is finally planning for the allotment of sites in K Shivaram Karanth Layout.
Given the complexities in land acquisition and other challenges in implementing such big projects, the Shivaram Karanth BDA Layout, located in North Bengaluru, will probably be the last big layout the BDA may ever form.
Although the project was initially conceptualized in 2008, some of the landowners (farmers) challenged it in the Karnataka Hight Court. The HC, after hearing the petition, quashed the notification. Later, the BDA filed a petition in the Supreme Court and got a green signal in 2018 to go ahead with the project.
Based on the Supreme Court verdict, the BDA then commenced the process of formation of the Karanth layout and found the presence of thousands of buildings, including homes, institutions, and high-rise structures. The BDA then again approached the SC, filing an application to seek guidance as to what could be done.
The Division Bench of the SC formed a three-member committee headed by Mr. Chandrashekar on December 3, 2020. Based on the suggestions made by this committee, the SC regularized almost 70% of the existing buildings built before August 3, 2018. The BDA has also issued regularization certificates to such owners and been collecting the betterment tax on these properties.
Dr Shivaram Karanth BDA Layout – Latest updates 2023
In February 2023, the BDA began the civil works at Shivaram Karanth layout and the project is in the final stages for allotment. Below are the latest updates on this project;
- According to the BDA, currently, the formation of 34,000 sites in the layout (the second largest after the Sir M Visvesvaraya Layout) is under way, including 4,500 corner sites. (60% of the plots are of 30-40 square meters area.)
- Of these, plot numbering has commenced for 29,000 sites. The BDA has completed road and drain works and started the marking of sites.
- Under the government scheme, the landowners who surrendered the land voluntarily under the 40:60 scheme would be allotted BDA-developed sites first. These sites are generally referred to as ‘BDA incentive sites. (Site’s which are allotted by Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) to the original land owner’s in return for land acquisition.)
- After that the Revenue site owners would be allotted the alternate sites. (A revenue site is a land parcel which can be considered as agricultural land as per the BBMP/BDA guidelines.)
- The BDA is working on fixing the rate per square feet for residential sites earmarked for the General public.
- Once the pricing is fixed, the BDA will issue a notification for allotment of sites to the general public. The allotment process may begin in the first week of December 2023.
- The BDA is also planning to allot a total of 150 acres of land, in six separate blocks (phases) of 25 acres each to M Rajiv Gandhi Housing Corporation Ltd. This Housing Corporation will construct houses/flats for economically backward people on these plots. The houses will be constructed under the EWS scheme for the poor in the BDA layout. This will be given importance after the construction of layout.
Below table gives you a rough idea about the availability of number of plots in Karanth layout.
|Allotment to||Total Number of Sites ear-marked |
|Type of BDA Site|
|Farmers||15,000||BDA Incentive Sites|
|Revenue site holders||2,500||BDA Incentive Sites / Alternate Sites|
|General Public |
(Through Allotment Process)
|12,000||BDA Allotted Sites|
|Corner Plots for the General Public |
(Through BDA e-auction process)
|4,500||BDA Auction Sites|
Application for Allotment of BDA Site in Shivaram Karanth Layout
Below is the application for allotment of BDA Site in Shivaram Karanth Layout for Revenue site owners;
Below are the documents to be submitted for allotment of alternate sites; (We believe that last date to apply for these sites is over.)
We will update this article as and when the BDA starts the allotment process for the General Public. You may post your queries and views on this topic, in the below comments section.
For more information on allotment process and site owners’ experiences (positive/negative), you may kindly go through our previous articles on ‘Kempegowda layout allotment’ and ‘BDA e-auctions’.
Continue reading related articles:
- Checklist of Important Property Documents in India | Legal Checklist for Property Purchase
- Latest BDA E-auction Sep-Oct 2023 | Property Auction Details & Online Procedure
- How to get Khatha Registration & Khatha Transfer done in Bangalore?
- 10 Important Things to do after buying a Real Estate Property
- BDA Kempegowda Layout – Notification (2018) – Details & Eligibility Conditions for Allotment of Residential Plots
- Kempegowda Layout – Allotment (2015) of Residential sites by BDA – Details & Eligibility Conditions
(Post published on : 29-Sep-2023)