Aadhaar card has become a hot topic of discussion in India. Government of India is linking each and every aspect of life to Aadhaar, be it your PAN, Bank account, EPF UAN, Mutual Fund Folios, Demat Account, Insurance Policies, Mobile Number, Govt Subsidies (like LPG), Death Certificate etc.,
However, the Supreme Court has earlier extended the March 31 (2018) deadline for Aadhaar linkages (except for Govt Subsidies & Welfare schemes) till the constitution bench delivers judgement on the matter.
In its recent judgement (26-Sep-2018), a 5-judge constitutional bench of the Supreme Court has declared the Govt’s flagship Aadhaar scheme as constitutionally valid but struck down some of its provisions.
What needs Aadhaar Linking?
- It is mandatory to link PAN card with Aadhaar
- You need to quote Aadhaar when filing your Income Tax Return.
- Aadhaar is mandatory for availing various Welfare Schemes and Subsidies offered by the Govt.
What does not need to be linked with Aadhaar Number?
- Aadhaar is not needed for Banking. It is not required while opening a Banking account.
- It is not needed to link with Mobile numbers (SIM cards).
- Aadhaar number is not a must for securing School admissions.
- It is not required for appearing in UGC, CBSE & NEET examinations.
- Private companies (like Telecom, e-Commerce etc.,) cannot seek Aadhaar data. Banks and phone companies cannot insist on Aadhaar-linking. So, Aadhaar linking to Mutual Fund Folios, Insurance policies is also not required now.
- Aadhaar may not be required while buying and registering motor vehicles.
- No child can be denied benefits for want of Aadhaar.
- Children can opt out of benefits of Aadhaar upon turning adults.
(The companies that use Aadhaar APIs (application programming interfaces) to provide employee-verification services will now have to find a different business model and underlying technology.)
Kindly note that the Supreme Court bench in its verdict has stated that Aadhaar bill can be considered as a Money Bill by the Govt. So, we may assume that the Aadhaar linking to various Govt schemes like PPF, NSC, Sukanya Samriddhi etc., can still be made mandatory.
(As of now, only India Post Payments Bank provides Aadhaar de-linking provision.)
Continue reading : ‘How to Cancel or Surrender PAN & Aadhaar Card of a deceased person?‘
(Post first published on : 26-September-2018)