Sukanya Samriddhi Account Deposit Scheme – New Amendments 2016

  • Xavier Luis Fernandes says:

    My daughters account is due for deposit however when I deposited I was told that the amount is in excess of 15.lakh which is maximum, however I have not deposited the amount in this year. Please let me know what do you think this is happening. Its a bit urgent as the year ending is 31 March. Please write to me on my email.

  • Kumar says:

    SSA Scheme opened for my Daughter nominee I choose my Wife Name 4yrs before I need to change the Nominee as my name due to Taxation I can show the amount can you please guide me

  • rama says:

    Dear Sreekanth garu,I am NRI. I have 2 daughters and both are staying in India only.Both daughters have indian passports onlyMy wife already opened SSYA for my first daughter 2 years back still ongoing.Can I continue to open for my second daughter also? Pls guide whether I need to continue or close the first daughter SSYA.

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Rama,
      As your daughter is still a Resident of India, you can continue with your investments in SSA.
      But, I doubt if you (NRI) can open a fresh SSA account as your Residential status is NRI and Small savings accounts are available for NRIs.
      You may also check on this with any bank that offers SSA.

  • MANISH PATEL says:

    In the case of divorce by wife to his husband,how money can withdraw prematurely…what was the provisions?if custody of daughter with wife,how father can withdraw deposited money?Thank you in advance.

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear MANISH,
      Only a girl child can withdraw the amount, the account is meant for her future.
      In such a scenario, mother can continue contributing to the account I believe..

  • Sumit Patel says:

    What if Husband invested on his daughter’s name but after 5 year of investment baby’s mother want to divorce from her husband so how husband can redeem that money to give her mother or what is the solution in case of divorce?no body questioned & nowhere its mentioned too..TIA.

  • Anand says:

    Hi Sreekanth, for below point in 11th point above, “The withdrawal can be made in lump sum or in installments not exceeding one per year, for a maximum period of five years.”

    I checked at this link, in any of Gazette pdf, I am unable to see this stament, Can you please share the link where you have seen this or help me for understanding the Gazette rule.
    This stmt menas, multiple withdrawals from 15 yrs to 21 yrs, which is really good thing.

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Anand,
      50% of outstanding balance in the Account can be withdrawn as lump sum or installment in a year for 5 years. Multiple withdrawals are not allowed in a year.

      For example : If total balance is Rs 1 lakh, 50% ie Rs 50k can be withdrawn in a year as lump sum or in installments in that year say Rs 25k + Rs 25k.

      This is my understanding!

  • Pratap says:

    Hi pratap here. The case pertains to my neighbour. The mother has opened an SSA ac for her daughter and She expired. Now her Husband wants to continue the SSA AC and deposit further. Now her daughter age is 11. Please guide.

  • Kashi Vishwanathan says:

    Hi sreekanth ,

    Can grand parents contribute to ssy account directly or it can be done only thru parents

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Kashi,
      Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana saving scheme authorizes parents of the girl child or legal guardians, in the absence of parents, to open an account. .

      However, grand parents can gift the amount to their grand children and parents can invest that amount in SSA.

  • Kashi Vishwanathan says:

    Can grand parents contribute to this account

  • Patel says:

    Her Uncle and Her grandfather can depsite money through Cash/Cheque.

  • Monika says:


    I want to transfer my daughter’s ssy account from post office to Icici bank. We have raised this raised this request in July 2019 in post office. So post office gave us the passbook which calculated interest till June 2019.
    But icici bank is telling that they will not consider the interest amount for April may June.
    So what to do now as both parties are not ready to agree.

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Monika,
      I think once the transfer gets completed, the interest amount will be payable on the accumulated balance. You may reconfirm this with ICICI (preferably through email communication).

  • Shalender Sharma says:

    Can I submit a variable amount deposit from 1000 to 5000 ?
    Can I transfer a payment online ?

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Shalender,
      Yes, you can deposit variable amounts.
      For online provision, kindly check with your bank/service provider..

  • Rajan says:


    Does the scheme allows to deposit after 14 years also or after 14th year we cannot deposit?we need to wait till 18 years completion or 21 year completion.what is the math behind 14 years if we contribute another 4 years there will be a very good compounding happening.

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Rajan,

      Kindly note that deposits can be made for 14 years from ac opening date.

      The scheme would mature on completion of 21 years from the date of opening of the account, with an option of keeping the account till marriage. So, the maturity of the account is 21 years from the date of opening of account or if the girl gets married before completion of such 21 years (whichever is earlier).

  • Vineetha says:

    I opened an account for my daughter whose an nri by birth n so far deposited upto 3 lakhs in post office .. the proof given was my daughters birth certificate ( USA ) .
    Last year was the time I came to know nri s are not allowed .. the post office people are still asking me to pay the amount and they are telling that the interest is been credited and they are not giving proper response n asking to pay the money still

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Vineetha,
      Suggest you to let them know about the NRI status of your child and close the account at the earliest..

  • Shruthi says:

    Hi. We have been depositing in ssy for 3 years and seems like we might be moving abroad for few years. As per the updated rule, if we are closing the account, when will we be able to withdraw the amount deposited till date?

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Shruthi,

      Sukanya Samridhi Account (SSY account) is NOT allowed for NRI girls – A girl child would be eligible for an SSY account if she is a Resident Indian Citizen at the time of account opening and remains so until maturity or closure of account. Therefore, non-resident Indian (NRI) girl child cannot benefit from sukanya samridhi account scheme.

      Girl child has to be both a citizen of India as well as resident in India, in order to be eligible. NRI girl child cannot benefit from this scheme.

      Change in Residential status after opening the account – At any time after opening SSY account, if the girl child becomes non-resident or non-citizen of India, guardian shall intimate the bank within one month from such change. No interest shall be paid from the date citizenship or residential status changes and account shall be considered as closed.

      You may have to wait till your Girl child’s Residential status changes to NRI and they you would be able to withdraw the funds immediately.

      Kindly check on this with your banker as well.

  • Sreekanth Reddy says:

    Dear Yakub,
    If minimum amount is not deposited, the account will be treated as an irregular account. This can be regularized/renewed on payment nominal fee (Rs 50 per year) as penalty. Along with this, the minimum specified subscription for the year (s) of default should be paid.

    Kindly visit the concerned bank/post office and renew your SSA.

  • Shreya says:

    If account holder is husband,can wife take the income tax exemption for the amount deposited in SSY if husband is not declaring the same to his employer?

  • Raj says:

    Hi Sir, i wanted to know how bank calculate the maturity, i heard we can deposit only 14 year from opening Sukanya acct, and maturity will be on 21 year.
    Question – 14 year from acct opening or until girls age of 14 year, for ex. we open acct when child age is 8 year old that will continue until 14 year in that case girls reach 22 year old and until maturity 29 year old, Please clarify

  • Viveo says:

    Hi sir ,I’m depositing monthly rs.5000 for my daughter in post office ,almost 8 months paid.can I change this amount in this same account ? I wish increase the monthly amount RS.5000 to Rs.12500 is this possible? What is the process sir.

  • Sachin Tyagi says:

    Hi !

    Sreekanth, Hope you are doing well

    In a financial year Can I deposit by cheque full money (1.5L) one time ???

    Deposit money one time get more interest ??

    Today I went to post office to deposit 132000 as 18 k I have already submitted on April 2018 , but due to some work at abroad we could not deposit the money

    Now iam in India and toady I went to post office , Pat master shaab told that you have deposit money only 25 k by cheque …. reaming you have to pay by cash ….

    Pl help me to clear the issue

  • sanjoy choudhary says:

    Dear sir,

    can we check online ssy account opened by post office

    Thanks Regards
    Sanjoy Choudhary

  • sanjoy choudhary says:

    hi sir,
    how to know that my ssy account opened by post office genuine and 2nd question can i transfer from post office to bank at same place

  • Ramesh S says:

    Hi my wife has opened 2 sukanya samridhi accounts on our two daughters aged 7 and 10.around a year ago .Now she has moved abroad for job in gulf and we plan to stay there for next few months children and i also will be moving abroad.please let me know If i can continue with SSS.also we have PPF in mine and wifes name.

  • >
    Scroll to Top