It’s been exactly 15 years since I have been tracking the Indian Stock Markets.
My first investment in stock markets was in Ashok Leyland scrip in 2004. I remained invested in this stock for just 3 days only. I would have monitored the price of this stock for atleast 100 times over those 3 days. I vaguely remember that time my aim was to get atleast 5% returns on this investment. I had lost patience and sold it for loss on the fourth day.
I lost huge amount of money by doing day-trading also. I have lost money trying to make a quick buck. I used to trade in stocks purely based on the tips and recommendations given by the analysts. All this happened during 2004 to 2007. I played short-term investing game without knowing the rules of the game.
I had incurred a total loss of Rs 3,08,129 because of Intra-day trading (during 2005-2007 period).
You may go through more of my investment mis-adventures in this article 🙂 – 5 Personal Financial Mistakes that I have committed…!
After my bitter experience with Stock markets, did not venture again into the Stock market for 10 long years (2008-2018). But, I have been putting sincere efforts to learn more about Stock Markets and Personal Finances.
I have been investing judiciously with lot of discipline and patience in Mutual Funds since 2008-09. Also, tagged these MF investments for specific financial goals.
My Savings / Investment portfolio is primarily into Bank FDs, Real Estate Properties and Mutual Funds. Whatever investible surplus we (as a family) are able to generate that gets invested primarily in Mutual Funds only.
However, I have started my second innings with Stock markets in 2018. Let’s have a look at my ‘latest Stock Portfolio’.
Please note that this is not a perfect portfolio and this post is not to showcase my ‘stock picking’ skills 🙂 These are not recommendations to buy/sell any of these Shares. I am not such a brilliant stock market investor!
Your personal investing style will be different from mine, and so will be your risk-taking capability, financial liabilities, and investment time horizon. So, kindly do not take any investment decision based on this article.
My Latest Stock Portfolio
I currently own some of the shares of the below Companies. I have been acquiring these since April 2018 at different points of time.
- Asian Paints
- Dabur India
- Engineers India
- Havells India
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance
- Honeywell Automation
- Kotak Mahindra Bank
- Larsen & Toubro
- Pidilite Industries
- Reliance Industries
- TTK Prestige &
- Nifty Bees (Index ETF)
My Stock holdings in percentage terms;
Sectoral Allocation Chart
Realized Capital Gains / Losses
I had booked profits by selling shares of Bajaj Holdings (holding period = 13 months) and Ion Exchange (holding period = 9 months) in this Financial Year. (I do not do intra-day trading, margin trading and F&O trading)
I have booked capital losses by selling shares of Va Tech Wabag Ltd. Overall, I have made net Capital Gains (as of now in this Financial Year).
Before I wind up, a few important points that I would like to share..
- The percentage of my investments in Stocks w.r.t my Networth is minuscule, as I have just started investing in direct Equity. But, have plans to accumulate good chunk of long-term wealth through Mutual Funds & Stocks.
- I have not linked my ‘stock portfolio’ to any of my personal financial goals. These are purely for long-term wealth creation and/or to make some capital gains (provided some luck is on my side consistently).
- I do not mind booking capital losses or gains if there is any such requirement (based on market and/or business conditions).
- To become a successful investor, I firmly believe in having patience, discipline and LUCK.
- In the last 1.5 years, I was not at all worried when stock markets falls and when some of my stocks value turn negative. But, I am finding it very difficult to control my emotions when I see abnormal profits. Finding it very tough to restrict myself from booking profits (partially). When to buy is much easier than when to sell? – may be, yes!
- “Emotional cycle matters more than the market cycle for successful investing” 🙂
- I track very limited number of stocks and also do not get into the sectors which I do not understand (ex – Pharma industry).
Do you invest in Direct Equity? Do you do day-trading? Is stock market investing suitable to everyone? Kindly share your comments! Cheers!
Continue reading :
- 5 Personal Financial Mistakes that I have committed…!
- Long Term Investment Horizon : Importance & Benefits | My father’s risky investments! (Real-life examples)
- My Latest Mutual Fund Portfolio | My Equity MF Picks
Kindly note that this post is for information and knowledge-sharing purposes only. Do not treat this as an investment advice. We do not offer stock tips and recommendations.
(Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net)
(Post first published on : 11-October-2019)