My Mother is a Pensioner and She is 70yrs and she dont have any Medical Policies , my question is she recently got Cataract eye Operation and the expenses are around 50 thousand ( operation expenses+Room expenses+Medicines) so can she show in 80D for IT Exemption and point to note is she dont have any medical insurance policies for the Assessment Year 2019-20
Yes, she can claim the medical expenditure u/s 80D.
- As of FY 2017-18, only Very Senior Citizens (who are above 80 years of age), can claim a deduction of up to Rs 30,000 incurred towards medical expenditure, in case they don’t have health insurance. The Budget 2018 has increased this to Rs 50,000 and also allowed the same flexibility to senior citizens. Even individuals who pay premiums for their dependent senior citizens parents can claim the additional deduction on health insurance premium (or) medical expenditure.
Related articles :
- Health Insurance Tax Benefits (under Section 80D) for FY 2018-19 / AY 2019-20
- Income Tax Deductions List FY 2018-19 | List of important Income Tax Exemptions for AY 2019-20
- Income Tax Deductions List FY 2019-20 | List of important Income Tax Exemptions for AY 2020-21
- Lump sum Investment options for Retirees/Senior Citizens | Where to invest my Retiral benefits to get Regular Income?