New ITR Forms AY 2016-17 (FY 2015-16) : Which ITR Form should you file?

New ITR Forms AY 2015_16 _ Which ITR form should you file

New ITR forms AY 2016-17 have been notified by  the CBDT (Central Board of Direct Taxes)The new ITR forms in PDF format are now available on Income Tax Department’s website. The excel utilities (or) Java Utilities for AY 2016-17 will soon be made available on incometaxindia e-filing website. (The ITR 1 & ITR 4S AY 2016-17 Excel utilities are now available on e-filing website).

What is Assessment Year & Financial Year?

Financial year (FY) is the year in which you have earned the income. If you are filing a return this year, the financial year will be 2015-16.

For example, if you have had an income between 1st April 2015 and 31 March 2016, then 2015-16 will be referred to as FY. Assessment Year (AY) is the year in which you file returns i.e., 2016-17. The last date to file returns for the financial year 2015-2016 is July 31st 2016.

Income Tax Slabs & Rates for FY 2015-16 (AY 2016-17)

The below table gives you clear idea about Income tax slabs / rates for all Tax payer categories. (For general category, Senior Citizens & Very Senior Citizens).

Income tax Rates for FY 2015-16 AY 2016-17 for all categories

  • The basic exemption limit for individuals (general category) for Assessment Year 2016-17 is Rs 2.5 Lakh.
  • The basic exemption limit for Senior citizens is Rs 3 Lakh.
  • The basic exemption limit for very Senior Citizens is Rs 5 Lakh.

Latest News (29-July-2016)The last date for filing Income Tax Returns for Assessment Year (AY) 2016-17 has been extended to August 5, 2016.

Income Tax Returns Filing & New ITR Forms AY 2016-17 – Which ITR Form should I file?

The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has notified the Income Tax Returns (ITR) for Financial year 2015-16 (Assessment Year 2016-17).  Looks like  the ITR-1 and ITR-2 forms are more or less  same as they were last year (AY 2015-16).

Below are the details about new ITR forms. You can download the ITR Forms which are in PDF format.New ITR forms AY 2016-17 Which form to file

  • New ITR-1 Form (Sahaj Form) for Assessment Year 2016-17 : ITR1 is also known as Sahaj form. This form can only be filed by an Individual and no other assessee can use this form for filing of their return of income. This form can be used if you have;
    • Salary or Pension Income
    • Income from one house property (excluding cases where loss is brought forward from previous years)
    • No business income / no Capital gains
    • No asset in foreign country or no income from a source outside India
    • Agricultural  income which is less than Rs 5,000
    • Income from other sources like FD/Shares/NSC etc.,
    • No income from lottery or horse racing.
    • New section for TCS (Tax Collected at Source) has been provided. (This is also applicable for ITR 1, ITR 2 & ITR 2A Forms)TCS (Tax Collected at Source) new section ITR 1 AY 2016-17
    • The tax department has newly included a schedule on Assets and Liabilities which will have to be filled by individuals and HUFs where total income exceeds Rs.50 lakh. (This section has been provided in ITR 1, 2, 2A, 3, 4, 4S forms too)Assets & Liabilities Schedule AL ITR forms AY 2016-17 Income Tax Filing pic
    • A new sub-section (1B) was introduced in Section 80CCD by the Finance Act, 2015 to provide for an additional deduction of upto Rs. 50,000 for investment in National Pension Scheme (NPS). Accordingly, a new row is now introduced in the ITR Forms to claim benefits of such additional deduction. (This new row has been made available in ITR 1, 2, 2A, 3, 4 and 4S also]NPS Section 80CCD 1B pic
    • Click here to download ITR1 AY 2016-17 Form.
  • New ITR-2A form for AY 2016-17 : ITR2A form can be filed by an Individual or Hindu Undivided Family (HUF). ITR2A can be used if you have;
    • Salary or Pension Income
    • Income from multiple house properties
    • No business income /No Capital gains
    • Income from other sources like FD/Shares/NSC etc.,
    • No asset in foreign country or no income from a source outside India
    • Agricultural income of more than Rs 5,000
    • Income from lottery or horse racing
    • Click here to download ITR2A AY 2016-17 Form.
  • New ITR 2 Form for AY 2016-17 : ITR2 form can be filed by an Individual or Hindu Undivided Family (HUF). This form can be used if you have;
    •  Salary or Pension Income
    •  Income under the head ‘Capital Gains’
    •  Income from multiple houses
    •  No business income
    •  An asset in foreign country or income from a source outside India
    • Agricultural income of more than Rs 5,000
    • Income from lottery or horse racing
    • Click here to download ITR2 AY 2016-17 Form.
  • ITR-4S Sugam form for Assessment Year 2016-17ITR4S form can be filed by an Individual or Hindu Undivided Family (HUF).  From this Assessment Year, this form can also be used by Firms other than Limited Liability Firms. This form can be filed if you have;
    • Income from business
    • No Capital Gains
    • Agricultural Income which is less than Rs 5k
    • No asset in foreign country or no income from a source outside India
    • Income from one house property
    • Click here to download ITR4S AY 2016-17 Form.
  • AY 2016-17 & New ITR-3 form : ITR-3 can be used by an assessee who is an individual or HUF (Hindu Undivided Family) and  who is a partner in a firm but does not have income from business or profession or carry business under proprietorship. ITR3 form can be filed where taxable business income is only from the salary, interest, commission, remuneration or bonus receivable from the firm as a partner. Click here to download ITR 3 AY 2016-17 Form.
  •  ITR-4 form for AY 2016-17 : ITR 4 form can be used by an assessee who has income from a proprietary business or profession. This ITR covers all kind of businesses and professions irrespective of any income limit. Assesse can also report his income from salary, house property, lottery winnings, capital gains, speculative income i.e. horse race in ITR4 together with the Business Income.  Click here to download ITR 4 AY 2016-17 Form.
  • Click here to Download ITR V Acknowledgement Form for AY 2016-17.

Continue reading :

(Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at (Post Published Date : 31-March-2016 ) (This post will be updated with more information after going through the ITR forms in detail..)

About The Author

  • Reshma Nahak says:

    I am confused which ITR should i file ???
    I work in an IT company and the tax deducted is 8k for the year 2016-17,i want to file ITR for the same,can you please guide??

  • sangeeta says:

    Hello Sir,
    I filed my IT e-return for AY 2016-17 in early april in old form(ITR-1) itself. But now new forms have been introduced for AY 2016-17. So do I have to file my e-return again in new form? Or will the old one be ok?

    Thank you


    can i filled return A.Y. 2015-16 income below tax liabilities


    I am a house wife, I have earning from house prperty Rs50000 per annum in 2016-17,but have not paid any Income tax till date.Kindly advise how much tax I have to pay & were can be it deposited.I have not filled any return also till date.

  • palash mondal says:

    1.)commission income & business income (44AD) under which itr form Require for ay 2016-17.
    2.) can i fillup no books of account i ITR 4.

  • aradhana says:

    i am filling TDS page of ITR AY 2016 -17
    my TDS deducted on 31.03.2016, it is giving option only up to year 2015 in the drop down what to do

  • Mr, Dias says:

    hi Sreekanth,

    I am an indian residing in mumbai. For all the previous years have been filing my income tax returns till assessment year 2014-2015.
    For the financial year 2015-2016, i was working out of india and receiving my salary in usd in the nre account.
    I was out of the country for more than 185 days and qualify accordingly.
    i do not have any other source of income other than that.
    I have not filed my income tax returns for the financial year 2015-2016, which is nil returns as should stand.
    Kindly advice how to go about it.
    Should i be filling itr form 2 for financial year 2015 or the new form for financial year 2016.
    Would there be any penalty? my income is clear and i do not have any refund claims or any tax to pay.

    Awaiting your reply.

    Benny Dias

    • Sreekanth Reddy says:

      Dear Dias,
      If you have zero liability then no penalty is levied.
      You need to choose respective ITR form for relevant Assessment year (for FY 2015-16, you need to chose ITR form which was meant for AY 2016-17).

  • Huzefa says:


    I am an NRI employee in Africa in african base company. I get salary in USD in africa and I remit the same from africa to my Indian account which is normal saving account in INR.

    1. as far as I know I am not liable for filling any tax return as my income is exempt but then too please confirm.

    2. If I want to file NIL return then in which ITR I have to file and under which section.

    3. Is there any compulsion that NRI should remit their income in NRE/NRO/NRI a/c only, are they allowed to remit to their normal a/c?


  • SAGAR says:


  • Dileepan says:

    Dear Sreekanth,
    I have filed ITR for financial year 2015-2016 and this is the first time I’m filing ITR. Instead of selecting assessment year 2016-2017, i have selected 2015-2016 and filed ITR. I received a mail from “intimations” stating that I have pay an amount of 1720.

    What should I do now? Is there any other way by which I can re file for the FY 2015-2016?

    Thanks in Advance.

    • Dear Dileepan,
      You can RECTIFY your ITR based on the notice received.
      You have to file a rectification of a return under section 154 . Kindly take help of a CA, if required.

  • Bhagwan Murthy says:

    I received an email from as follows:

    We sincerely appreciate your payment of Income Tax and filing of the Income Tax return for Assessment year 2016-17
    In recognition of your contribution towards the building of our great nation, please find attached a BRONZE Certificate.
    With regards,

    Central Board of Direct Taxes
    Ministry of Finance
    Government of India

    There is a colourful pdf certificate attached, which can be printed and framed if necessary. Is such a certificate sent to everyone? Why only bronze ? 🙂

    • Dear Bhagwan ..First time hearing something like this! May be next year you may receive silver/gold 🙂

      • Bhagwan Murthy says:

        Previously I used to file my returns a couple of days before the deadline, but this time I filed it in May, immediately after receiving form 16 from my employer, since I did not see any advantage in delaying it. Perhaps the certificate is in appreciation of my promptness.

    • Saikat Roy says:

      I received the same today. First I thought the attachment could have ransomeware (spam mail) but found it to be from legit ssl source.

      Bronze stands for tax bracket of less than 10 lacs. A good initiative from CPC may be.

  • AnveshVarma says:

    Hi Sreekanth,

    I Have e-filed my ITR on 18th July,But Still I did not get my refund amount. genrally how many days it will take to refund?.
    Current Status is Successfully e-verified(EVC Accepted)


  • Samina says:

    Hello Sir,
    Thanks a lot for your reply,one more thing i want to know whether i have to show principal stampduty registration amount in negative figure under section 80c,and the employer has not shown the loan amount in form 16 so will it be ok if i file it on my own in itr1.Secondly i got the possession certificate but not the OC so i can still show the interest principal and stampduty amount while filing itr1 or after receiving OC i should show all this amount.

  • Samina says:

    Sir i am finding difficulty in filing itr 1 in may 2015 i purchased a flat which was underconstruction and in dec 2015 i got the possession but from may to dec 2015 i paid pre emi so the total amount from may2015 to march 2016 is Rs.140356/-principal amount is Rs.10661/- and interest is Rs.129695/- stamp duty and registration Rs.52351/-total cost of flat is Rs.25lakhs including stamp duty and registration so my question is where should i take interest amount while filing itr 1 as well as proncipal and stamp duty amount also.Secondly can i claim for it if yes then what amount should i take principal,interest or stampduty and registration please help me with the amount detail.Waiting for your reply

  • C P SINGH GAUR says:

    Dearsir, i am retired emplee f central Gov PSU, I am gettig pension as annuity of pension from fund generated by employer, and Rs 5000/-pm from varishth pensin scheme, kindly letme kno the axabilty of the above.

  • sandeep says:

    Dear Sreekanth,

    One of my friend lives out of India since September 2013.

    For FY 2013-14 he has filed the IT returns.

    For FY 2014-15 he has not filed the returns. His 26AS shows some TDS on FDs.

    And for FY 2015-16 also he has not filed the returns yet. His 26AS shows some TDS on FDs as well

    Now my questions are:

    1. Whether he has to file the returns in India? If yes which ITR he should use to file the retunrs.

    2. Whether his income outside India will be taxable in India? Whether he has to declare the same in India?

    3. Is it OK if he files only ITR1 and claim any TDS, since his income from FDs will be less than 2,50,000/-

    Requesting your help.


  • sreddy says:

    which form is used for having agricultural income and government employee
    2. how to get exemption for agricultural income?

  • Patil says:

    Dear Shreekanth,

    Currently I’m paying house rent 8,000 Rs / Month but I ‘m able claim only 4,500 Rs /Month (40% of my basic Salary) via my employer how can I get tax exemption for my remaining amount while ITR. Is it Possible?? please please help me clarifying on this.


  • sandeep says:

    Dear Sreekanth,

    Please help me in clarifying two doubts while filing IT returns.

    1. I get medical allowance in my monthly salary from my employer. Every year, my employer collects medical bills up

    to 15000 (if any) and I used to get tax exemption on that amount. This year I forgot to submit my medical bills to

    employer. I want to know, If I can mention and get tax exemption while filing ITR.

    If yes, then under which section I can mention this amount.

    2. Also I forgot to submit the HRA. Under which section I can show this as well.

    Please help.


    • Dear Sandeep,
      1 – Unfortunately, this benefit can only be claimed via the employer. There is no mechanism to submit bills to the IT Department to claim the benefit. So, if you can’t claim medical reimbursement at the time of filing your Income Tax Return.
      2 – If you live on rent and have made rent payments you can claim deduction on House Rent Allowance at the time of filing your income tax return.
      You have to calculate how much HRA is tax exempted. Then re-calculate your total taxable income after adjusting this exemption. Finally calculate your tax dues.

  • Deepak says:

    When I am trying to submit the ITR 1 (Java) by leaving the SH.TCS blank, I am not allowed by the software to leave it blank. How do I submit?

  • >
    Scroll to Top