We all are aware of the fact that Aadhar number is slowly becoming the most important document to have. It is now mandatory to quote your Aadhaar number when filing your income tax returns, to link Aadhar to PAN card, while making real estate deals or even to get a death certificate.
It has been estimated that more than 1.12 billion Indians (88.2 % of the population) have now been enrolled for Aadhaar.
The Govt has recently reported that around 81 lakh Aadhaar numbers have been deactivated till date, by the UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India). There are various reasons for this deactivation of Aadhaar numbers. An Aadhaar number can be cancelled or deactivated if multiple Aadhaar numbers have been issued (or) there are discrepancies in the bio-metric data or supporting documents.
So, how to check the status of your Aadhaar number online? How to know if your Aadhaar status is Active or not?
How to verify the status of Aadhaar number online?
Below is the procedure to check if your Aadhaar card is valid (or) not deactivated ;
- The ‘Verify Aadhaar Number’ tool can be accessed by visiting the UIDAI website.
- Under the ‘Aadhaar Services’ tab, click the ‘Verify Aadhaar Number’ link
- You have to provide your 12 digit Aadhaar number and the security code and then click ‘Verify’.
- If your Aadhaar number is in active status, a message confirming the status of the Aadhaar number will appear. The page also displays basic information such as your age band, State and the last three digits of your registered mobile number. Below is the message that I have received for my Aadhaar number. (OTP is not required to check the status of Aadhaar.)
- In case of invalid Aadhaar numbers, the page says the number “doesn’t exist” at the end of the verification process.
How to re-activate your Aadhaar number?
What to do if your Aadhaar card is inactive? –
- You have to visit the nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre along with the supporting documents.
- You have to submit the Aadhaar update form at the centre. (You have pay a fee of Rs 25.)
- Your biometrics will be re-verified and updated. (As this process can not be done online / by post, personal visit is a must.)
Kindly note that the other services/tools that are available in UIDAI home page are ;
- You can lock/unlock your Biometrics. (Locked Biometrics ensures the Aadhaar holder will not be able to use their Biometrics (fingerprints/iris) for authentications thus preventing potential misuse. Kindly use this tool with caution!)
- You can also check ‘Aadhaar & Bank Account‘ linking status. (In case, you have linked multiple Bank accounts with your Aadhaar then only the latest linking details are provided through this tool.)
If you have got your children enrolled for Aadhaar before the age of 5 years, you should get their Aadhaar numbers updated. Their biometrics should be updated after attaining the age of 5 years and then again after they attain 15 years of age.
Continue reading :
- How to link Aadhaar with PAN in three simple steps?
- How to check PAN card status validity online?
- When & where to quote your PAN number?
(Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net) (Post published on : 16-August-2017)