The Central government in one of its recent notifications (dated 1st June, 2017) has asked all the Financial institutions, including Banks, to verify and link Aadhaar numbers of their customers with their bank accounts.
If you have multiple Bank accounts, you need to link all your Accounts to your Aadhaar number. It is now mandatory to do so! As of now, the deadline to link Aadhaar number with Bank accounts is 31st December, 2017.
So, how to link Bank account with Aadhaar? – There are primarily two options.. You can link them by log in to your bank account using internet banking (or) visit your nearest bank branch and submit offline request (application form). Some of the banks do allow the linking through mobile banking, ATM or even by SMS mode also.
After you submit the details, the bank will take 3-4 working days to verify and conduct an eKYC (or Know Your Customer) authentication through the Unique Identification Authority of India, and complete the linking process.
If multiple bank accounts are linked to Aadhaar, where (which bank) will the LPG subsidy go?
I have received this query a couple of days ago.. These days, most of us have multiple bank accounts, and you might have already linked one of your bank accounts to Aadhaar for receiving Govt’s subsidies like LPG subsidy (Direct Benefit Transfers) etc.,
As it is now mandatory to link all bank accounts with Aadhaar number, you might be wondering to which bank account the LPG gas subsidy amount will be credited ???
If you have multiple bank accounts for which Aadhar has been seeded/linked then your LPG subsidy will be credited to the one in which you have seeded the Aadhar latest (the most recent one). It will be credited into the account which has been last updated with your Aadhar number.
For example :
- Bank ABC : Aadhar linked on 01- Jan – 2015
- Bank XYZ : Aadhaar number linked on 01-Sep-2017
Then your Subsidy will be processed to the Bank XYZ, as it is your latest Aadhar seeded account.
(The UIDAI access NPCI’s (National Payments Corporation of India) server. The NPCI has a repository of Bank account numbers that are linked to Aadhaar numbers. After receiving the Aadhaar number from the customer, the bank uploads such numbers’ into a “NPCImapper”. If you seed your Aadhaar with another bank account, the NPCI mapper is overwritten with the new bank’s details.
National Automated Clearing House or NACH’s Aadhaar Payment Bridge (APB) System, developed by NPCI has been helping the Government and Government Agencies in making the Direct Benefit Transfer scheme a success. APB System has been successfully channelizing the Government subsidies and benefits to the intended beneficiaries using the Aadhaar numbers. The APB System links the Government Departments and their sponsor banks on one side and beneficiary banks and beneficiary on the other hand.)
How to know which is the latest Aadhaar Seeded Bank account online?
- Kindly visit UIDAI portal.
- Click on ‘Check Aadhaar & Bank Account Linking Status‘ under ‘Aadhaar Services’ in the home page.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and security code and click on ‘Send OTP’ button. (OTP will be sent to your mobile number which is registered with UIDAI.)
- Kindly key in the OTP number that you have received and click on ‘Login’ button.
- On your successful login, you can know the linking status of your Bank Account & Aadhaar number. As discussed in the above points, the recently Aadhar updated bank account will be shown here.
Continue reading :
- How to link Aadhaar number to Mutual Fund folios online?
- How to link Aadhaar number with PAN in three simple steps?
- RBI’s new guidelines on un-authorized Electronic banking transactions
(Post published on : 14-September-2017)